Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Aug 31, 2010

The kids and I had a nice weekend just hanging out. We watched some movies, swam and fished. They like being at my place; I think it's like a vacation for them. I'm trying to keep a regular pattern of bed-time etc. but it's also the weekend and they don't have their friends here to play with (they don't like me describing it as "playing" any more because they say they are too old to play).

Kelly called around 2 on Sunday afternoon asking if I'd bring the kids early for dinner and stay. She had bought some beer for me and wanted to cook steaks. I sensed a positive shift in momentum. We arrived about 4 and hung out on the back deck in the sun. It was like old times.

About 6:30 the kids and I were getting hungry but Kelly had been inside on the computer for about 15 minutes. I cut up potatoes, seasoned the meat, then did some yard work. By 7 she had not come downstairs so I started cooking. I called her to come to the table at quarter to 8. I sent Erin up to get her mom, but Erin said mom told her to start without her.

Kelly came down about 8:30 after we had finished and were cleaning up the dishes. She was agitated. I asked what was wrong and she said she got edgy if we were getting along too much. I didn't say anything, but didn't think that was it. She didn't eat the plate I left but went to watch TV and refilled her wine glass.

The kids sat with her on the couch but I felt really awkward. I left at 9 saying I had to get up and go to work the next day. Kelly said "And you think I don't work?" I said that wasn't what I meant. Needless to say, she didn't mention anything about inviting me to dinner but me cooking the whole thing and cleaning up.

She sent an email about 3 in the morning saying she couldn't respect herself if she stayed with me. I didn't know how to answer that. I know that not telling her that renovations we did (that she wanted) on the last house couldn't be covered by my income alone and that the mortgage was increasing was wrong, but I don't think it is the sole source of our problems.

I haven't talked to her today.

1 comment:

scargosun said...

I am not getting her. I really am not. I mean. Confusion is one thing but out she's just being mean. I do you really think you deserve that? Think about it. I am not saying that you are/were perfect. I don't know you but I do know no one is perfect. What she said about not respecting herself, that is on her, not you. If she can't respect herself, it has nothing to do with you at all. You can't respect yourself thru someone else. It doesn't work that way.